Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Last week in Seoul



Monday I was hoping to hear the exact time of departure, but that was not to be. It is now Wednesday and we aren't sure if we will be leaving. The powers to be have not yet authorized his travel, so we will wait and see what happens.


Tuesday I went to the AWC (American Women's Club) meeting to say Hi and Bye to my friends. They have a raffle at the end and I got a lovely necklace. Actually Ina got the necklace, but she only wears two necklaces so gave it to me as a parting gift. She is so sweet. After the meeting we went to eat at Buddas Belly in Itaewon then coffee and to the express bus terminal for shopping. Liza had to get some groceries and I needed to get out of the apartment. I stayed home all day yesterday and was getting tired of sorting and going through papers.






Wed. I went to the craft class at Oakwood. We made two flower hair ribbons. It was fun. Mike came home from work so I could go, since the packers were to come. They came, but no boxes and not a big enough car to take our stuff. So after the secretary translated, DHL said they would be back before 4 pm. Then I went to lunch at Mita's since it was my last week. I thought it would be just her and me, but it was a surprise lunch with the girls from Oakwood. The picture is of the girls, Leanne had to leave before the photo. The food was great and it was a total surprise. I had a good time. The packers came back, but they just threw things in boxes and said they would pack at their office. So off they went. Mike and I went to La Grilla to celebrate getting things packed up.

Thurs. work gets an email from the packers what to do with the things that they would not pack and send. They couldn't pack playing cards or Mike's medicine. Told them to bring them back to our room before 10am tomorrow. Also found out that the tickets have not been approved for our travel. After a few more phone calls and some hassle they were approved. But with Ike threatening we changed my reservations to have a stop in Los Angeles before going to Houston. Mike will go straight to Dubai and get a car to Abu Dhabi. We ate at On the Border for our last meal in Seoul and ran into Debbie and Gene. So we ate and visited with them.


Friday. Finished packing, but Mike waited for the DHL packages. He took me and my bags to the City Air Terminal and then we came back for an hour before I would have to leave for the airport. DHL came at 9:30am and we went to the air terminal. I went to the Korean Air lounge to wait for Mike. He caught up with me around 10:45. We had some food then walked the terminal. I left for LA and he went to the Korean craft area and made a hanji box and got to play a flute. Which according to him, he couldn't make it make a sound. But he got to keep it. It was a good way to spend his free time before his flight. I arrived in LA and Ruth was waiting for me. On the way home from the airport we stopped for lunch and caught up with what was happening. She told me that IAH (Houston airports) were closed at 10 am Fri. morning. We watched the hurricane news, had dinner and watched the new some more. Mike called to tell me he arrived safely in Abu Dhabi and was staying at the Hilton. I also talked to my mom and the girls to let them know we were fine. Couldn't get in touch with Bryan. I fell asleep and finally decided I needed to go to bed and did.



Sat Watched the news and wondered why when there was mandatory evacuation about 10,000 people stayed on Galveston Island. They were lucky the storm surge wasn't as high as predicted. Talked with my neighbor, my house is fine, the only damage she noticed was the chimney cover blew off. But she found one in her front yard and it is in my garage now to be put back on. No electricity yet and it may be awhile. My plans now are to stay in LA until Monday and fly home. But that depends if they are flying into Houston and I can get a rental car. My neighbor Carrie said if the electricity is still off tonight she will clean out my refrig and freezer. I have great neighbors. Jay and Ruth went to a social event tonight and I am watching their dog Toots. Toots and I had a good dinner and are watching tv. I will probably go to bed soon, since I still feel a little jet lagged.
Sunday I checked with my neighbor again to see if I would be able to get home. She told me they now have electricity. So that is good news and grocery stores are open. Yeah!! So I am getting ready to fly home. Not sure if I will have a rental car available or not, but getting to Houston is good. Will let you know how that goes later.



















No comments: