Wednesday, October 21, 2009

4th week in Ruwais








Friday was a quiet day. Mike has a slight cold, he slept until 1 pm. But we decided to go with Marek Sat. to Abu Dhabi and hit golf balls and go to a bookstore he found.

Sat. we left for Abu Dhabi around 8 am. I was fine, but when we arrived my neck was sore. I guess I twisted it in the car. I tried hitting the golf ball, but couldn’t swing the club without pain. So I went to the club house to wait while they finished at the driving range. We went to the gold souk, but it was close to closing time, so the stores were not letting anyone in. I did manage to go to the 6 dirham shop(like everything $1 store at home) and get a tension rod for curtains in the kitchen. I purchased the wrong size last time we were there. They wanted to close early. So we decided to try the bookstore. While going there we realized it was the bookstore we had been to the week before. I told Mike I didn’t think it opened in the afternoon until 5 pm. That was the case. So we went to eat an early dinner or late lunch at the Philippine House. I don’t really like it but Marek does. It is ok and the bbq chicken was ok. Since we were done and it was another hour before the stores would open we decided to go back to Ruwais.

Sun. Mike went to work and I went to origami at Jeanny’s house. We made cards with string. Unfortunately, although I was careful I wasn’t careful enough. I cut a few of my strings. Decided I would fix at home. But instead of fixing the mess, I made it worse, but breaking the hole and the threads on one side all became loose. So I will try making another one after I go and get some more paper. Mike really liked the card. I still had to finish the center star. When I got home I started making curtains. We decided to wait until Jan. when I come back to get a sewing machine, since I have been busy most days. So I hand sewed the extra fabric I brought that matched the sheets for the blow up beds. It takes awhile to make curtains by hand, at least for me.

Mon. I decided to try and play golf in the afternoon even though my neck was still bothering me. They decided to play best ball. I did fine the first hole, they used my t shot and chip shot. But after that my neck started hurting again and it made me swing funny and I did lousy for the other 3 holes. Although my putting wasn’t too bad, and I think they used one of my putts too. I am the newest beginner of the group.

Tues. I opted out of ladies morning golf. Mike decided to play some golf after work. So I worked on the curtains some more. Finished the ones to hide the trash can. Then it was time to get ready for darts. We arrived early so we could have dinner at the club house. But everyone was running late, so darts didn’t start until after 8:30. Made for a late evening, but not only was my neck bothering me after darts, now my back is hurting. Guess I am walking or holding my shoulder funny. Hopefully a few more hot showers and heat packs will help. I couldn’t sleep, so got on line and found Trish and Ruth C on facebook and talked to them for awhile. I think the advil finally worked and went to sleep.

Wed. after sleeping in played Rummikub. I ended up with a score of zero. With five players I was in 3rd place. That is the best I have done so far. So I was happy. Maybe next time I will improve again. Angela was saying she wasn’t going home and Annika asked if she would get her passport stamped since the regulations changed. She said she forgot all about it. Made me realize I needed to check the requirements to see if I would have a problem. I got home in enough time to check and get ready for the Texas Scramble at the golf club. Found out that the regulations changed from when I was last here from 90 days to 30 days. I have been in the UAE 34 as of today. I was not playing, but walked the course with Mike’s group. I got the few balls that went out of bounds. There were 2 teams and the teams tied – so there was no winner or loser. Afterwards there was a dinner of fish and chips. Talking with a few people found out the fine for overstaying is 100 dirhams a day – which is close to 28 US dollars. So Mike is now checking to see where the closest border with stamp is. It looks like we will be going to Al Ain soon. If he can get off work tomorrow we will go then. It brings back memories of Korea. You would think I would learn. I did finish my curtains for the kitchen. So now I no longer have sheets on any of the windows. Yeah!!

No comments: