Friday, October 16, 2009

Another week in Ruwais




Sun. Mike let me have the car. I drove to aerobics and Elaine asked if I needed a ride home afterwards and if I wanted I ride to origami. I accepted the ride to origami, but said I had the car today. I tried to find the Emirates Shopping Center on the way home, but got so lost, decided just to head home and try later. I started hand laundry and had tuna fish for lunch. Got ready for origami and went to class. We made a star or you could make it into a flower. Mine didn’t look too good, so I will try again and put the best one on a card. Around 5 I went to the Emirates Shopping Center to find the laundry service. It was closed, so bought a few things at the store, fruit and drinks. It still wasn’t open, so came home. Mike was home, we decided to hit golf balls and drop of the laundry. I did so so on my golf. Hit a few good shots – he keeps telling me not to try to hit the ball so hard. I think I am just trying to hit it. Oh well. Afterwards I asked to eat at the club house again. We did and there was a surprise inside. One of the Arabs had brought his hawk. Mike and I each had our picture taken with it. He was a very interesting fellow and we enjoyed talking with him.

Mon. was ladies golf in the afternoon. I went to aerobics in the morning and did laundry when I got home. I did fine in golf at first, but after two holes my stroke went wild. Afterwards Mike and I ate at the golf club. We tried the chicken Marsalis – but it was sooooo hot I could not eat it. I had the bread that came with it.

Tues. was ladies golf in the morning. Angele and I played together so the other women could play more holes for their competition. We kept score. I got zero points and Angela got 4, which isn’t bad for playing only 4 holes for a beginner. Needless to say I definitely need more practice. I can’t seem to figure out how hard to swing the sand wedge when I get close to the hole. My ball goes back and forth over the brown (in UAE with sand courses the green is called brown, since it is really brown). Really frustrating and disappointing when I finally get close to the brown in 5 strokes only to take 4 strokes to get on the brown. Then comes the putting, oh well maybe one day. At least I didn’t lose a ball or go in the water today. It is funny you have to sweep the browns, to erase your foot prints in the sand. So you try to walk in each other’s footsteps as much as possible. I cooked dinner tonight. We had the ground beef – which I mixed with spaghetti sauce. Cooked penne pasta and we had a meal. I also cut up fruit, so we had a fruit salad. I made the brownie mix we bought. I egg yolks were bright orange red, so I wasn’t sure they were good, but thought if I cooked them they might be ok. Well after the brownies came out of the oven I had to try them. They were good and I didn’t get sick. Someone told me later that some of the egg yolks are that color, it is caused by what they feed the chickens. I have no idea. Mike was surprised by my cooking.

Wed. we didn’t play games. Wed. is usually ladies game day. Most of the group went to Abu Dhabi to meet with an old friend who moved there. So I hemmed the curtains, only got one done. I got distracted, worked on my origami and read some of the book I borrowed from Jeamy. This obviously wasn’t a memorable day, can’t remember what else I did. But I do remember a nap.

Thurs. Mike had off. We were going to play golf in the morning, but Mike has a cold and we didn’t sleep well with his snoring. Instead we went and played in the afternoon. I did great the first two holes, except for getting on the green. Mike had me hit four or five balls when I got close and went over, so I could gauge how to hit the sand wedge. I will see if that helps. Then he thought I needed to put some wrist into my swing. Not a good idea. I ended up hitting the mat which hurt my wrist. Mike said I was casting. If you are a golfer maybe you know what he means. We saw Lars and Annika playing too. It was getting dark and I had had enough after 4 holes, so Mike played some more and I put my things away. Sat with Lars and Annika, Annika said you are not supposed to try to put wrist motion into your swing until you have golfed for at least 6 mos. So we will see if it confuses me to go back to my original swing or not. Since I was staving we ate at the club house. I really like their pepper steak – you can have it as a sandwich or a steak with gravy. Either is delicious. We went home and watched some burn notice. The slingbox is a little off, so it isn't the best way to watch tv. I may just have to go to itunes and buy some shows. We will see.

No comments: